Dark Horse 2013

Dark Horse 2013

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Success and Failure

Being successful. We all want it. We do not always get it.

Success is awesome. But what makes success awesome is the effort it took to get there. The million struggles, failures, falls. But no matter how hard we fall or how hard we fail, we get back up. We keep trying for that million and one try. Maybe this time it will be successful and when it is, the feeling is gold.

Throwback! DH 2010

I found that success exactly two weeks ago when I competed at the Dark Horse at Metrorock. I have been competing in this competition series since I was 17, through all of my ups and downs of climbing.

I went to this competition with no expectations. I had not climbed in a month because I have been so darn busy. I thought to myself, "all of the kids are going to beat me!" However, I was okay with that. I was okay with that because I knew that I had an entire day dedicated to climbing and that made me psyched. I got so psyched because I missed climbing and I absolutely love the sport. Through thick and thin I have held onto the sport and not let go.




With this thought process, I got this immense amount of intrinsic motivation to just climb. That allowed me to be successful. It distanced me from the actual competition and allowed me to interact with everyone. It allowed me to climb without feeling "jittery". It allowed me to not only climb hard, but do it with a smile on my face. I was able to use my competition as a way to enhance my personal performance. It got me to encourage others and make the competition experience so much more exciting.



I wound up placing 5th at the Dark Horse. I think that is pretty darn good and I am extremely proud. Did I win money? No, but neither did any kids ;)


That competition was the best competition I have ever had. It is a lower placement in comparison to my past, but that is not the point. The point is I felt happy the entire time. I enjoyed every second of the competition and regret nothing. I could feel the energy from the crowd in finals and I could feed off of that! I gave 110% the entire day and that is why I was successful. I satisfied my intrinsic needs and it showed in my climbing ability.



I guess in short what I am trying to say is, don't give up. Don't ever give up. Success will come and it will be worth everything you fought through to get to it.








Here is a little recap of the competition:


No comments:

Post a Comment